In the 1930's, the road through St Nicholas, now known as the A48, was the main link between Cardiff and Swansea. Work took place to widen the road, including that through St Nicholas.
At Trehill, Penyrheol Cottage (pictured) was demolished. Where it stood is now a wide grass verge to the south of the A48. Blacksmiths Row almost suffered the same fate, but was saved by local protest and a by-pass to the north of the village agreed upon as a better solution...